When writing, what do you listen to?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bistander, Jan 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bistander

bistander Well-Known Member

I have always listened to rock while I work on a story. Most often it's stuff like AC/DC, Judas Priest, Cowboy Junkies, Blue October, Never the Bride, etc. However, lately, I have been listening to meditation music on Youtube. Stuff with labels like Concentration, Brain, meditation music.

I can't really say if it is making me better, but it hasn't made me any faster, which is what I was hoping for.

2. Ben Bitten

Ben Bitten Well-Known Member

I don't listen to any; I don't want any distractions

Redhaired Mermaid likes this.
  3. Little Miss K

Little Miss K Naughty but Nice

I can't listen to music when I write. :(

If I turn on music when I do any mental task like writing or homework it becomes one song leading me to the next, and before long, I am flipping through my playlist, or going on YouTube to find another song.

For physical tasks that don't require thinking, I prefer a playlist that doesn't stick to one genre of music for more than a few songs. :D I like the sudden change from one type of music to another. :p

4. ahorsewithnoname

ahorsewithnoname Author & Admin. Live. Love. Write! Win a Pulitzer! Staff Member Founder

Sometimes I listen to music, and if so, it would generally be smooth jazz, or sometimes baroque, and sometimes it is music from Lord of the Rings or some other epic piece. I find that music without words helps.

While I'm working on website stuff, I'll watch repeats of television shows, like The West Wing or Vampire Diaries (shaddup) or Jericho...it keeps me interested as I can "listen" to it while I'm doing other tasks. But not writing.

5. HCB0414

HCB0414 Well-Known Member

I listen to music while doing stuff around the house, or even at work, and it never distracts me. However I don't think I have ever turned any music on while writing. I am not sure why, as I am sure it wouldn't distract me either. I suppose somewhere in my subconscious the music is always playing and letting me know that I don't always need to hear physical sounds.

6. Uncle B

Uncle B Well-Known Member

For me it's about 50/50. I sometimes like to have songs playing in the background, but it is never a set type of music. My taste in music is so eclectic, that at any point in the day, I might be listening to punk rock, country, rock and roll, or even classical. It all depends on the mood I'm in.

There are some occasions where I will put on music with the intention of putting myself in the atmosphere of the scene I am writing. It would be tough for me to write a sex scene if I have death metal blaring in my ears.

7. Redhaired Mermaid

Redhaired Mermaid Well-Known Member

I want ABSOLUTE silence when I write. That is the only way for me.

Ben Bitten likes this.
  8. PABLO DIABLO

PABLO DIABLO Well-Known Member

I always have music playing. I have about 250 cds loaded into my laptop. I make custom play lists and label them. Often I just put something on as background noise while I write towards something. However, if it's an emotional scene then usually Enya comes out to play (or Secret Garden). I've also lately become a big fan of Andy Black (Thank you Lo Ro) as well as Bad Wolves.

Redhaired Mermaid likes this.
  9. Redhaired Mermaid

Enya and Secret Garden eh? Amazing atmospheric music. Have you ever listened to Laureena Mc Kennitt?

10. Redhaired Mermaid

Tell me what you think. Her voice is out of this world.

bistander likes this.
  11. Redhaired Mermaid

My most favourite of hers is Dante's Prayer....

PABLO DIABLO likes this.
  12. crackedjaguar

crackedjaguar Member

Lords of Acid? Johnny cash? Walon Jennings? ACDC? the soundtrack to pirates of the carribean? Battlestar galactica soundtrack?

13. Shady Lady Julie

Shady Lady Julie Well-Known Member

The sound of my beating heart interspersed with my occasional tuts and curses

14. 1 Toy Maker

1 Toy Maker Well-Known Member

Music is white noise so I have no problems with it being on when I write or work, and when I go to sleep.

15. A_GIRL_NAMED_SAM

A_GIRL_NAMED_SAM ***Reigning CAW Champion***

Classical - music written prior to 1812. Some Gregorian chants, some Medieval dance, sometimes a bit of Wagner (I know - written long after 1812, but it's so fricken stirring!).

16. IndelicatedDoll

IndelicatedDoll Well-Known Member

I love my music! I crank it up for my commute. I dance to it. I do not write to it. It is too much of a distraction.

17. Redhaired Mermaid

Good for you Paul. It really is beautiful music.

18. Redhaired Mermaid

I'm sure they will. And you are much welcome dear. I am sure you will enjoy her inspired music. I find her very soothing for the soul....