Grammarly

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jeymar, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Jeymar

Jeymar Dean of the Perverts

1- Do any of you use Premium Grammarly?
    2- Is the premium option worth the price?
    3- Would a person like me, whose native language is not English, benefit by getting the premium option?

Please let me know your opinion.

Mr.Anciano and Uncle B like this.
  2. Uncle B

Uncle B Well-Known Member

I hate to say that I don't have any answers for you, but I would like to know about it as well.

I don't have a problem spending money on something that works, but I don't like throwing money down the drain. Any answer would be welcome.

Mr.Anciano likes this.
  3. ahorsewithnoname

ahorsewithnoname Author & Admin. Live. Love. Write! Win a Pulitzer! Staff Member

@bistander

^^ has talked about that program in the past, so perhaps he can shed some light on its usefulness.

Mr.Anciano likes this.
  4. bistander

bistander Well-Known Member

Okay, @ahorsewithnoname and @Uncle B I shall shed because I am a dog and a paid in full user of Gammarly. <-Note, the app just underlined that word in a straight red line because the name of their app isn't correct. I can point at that word and I'll see the correct options. I like that because I right clicking is harder for me. Sucks not being able to click without taking off my typing tool. Which makes me ask, is there a way to type @ user and accept the name that pops up without clicking?

Grammarly is good for me because I make tons of mistakes. If you are confident with your ability to punctuate and understand what makes something a sentence fragment, run on sentence, dangling modifiers, and incomplete comparison, then use the free version as a second pair of eyes for catching typoes.

If you're not, then get the paid version. Not only will you be able to paste your story into the app and have it graded and saved, it runs in the browser and MS Office, maybe open office. You can highlight a word and get synonyms anywhere, and in the app whenever it points out a problem, you can get more information about it. I've learned a bunch about English from it, even when its suggestion is wrong, and it sometimes is, so don't think you're getting something that you'll be able to click change all and have the perfect story.

I am not a spokesman for Gammarly, but I slept at a Best Western last night. If someone wishes, I'll take something you write and drop it into the app, then I'll get a screenshot of it and show you what it thinks.

Mr.Anciano and ahorsewithnoname like this.
  5. Jeymar

Ya! I'd like to do that. Please take my latest Claude and Michelle from CAW SS. I used the Grammarly Free Version of it, but would be curious if the paid version would detect more mistakes. Thanks.

Mr.Anciano likes this.
  6. bistander

bistander Well-Known Member

Okay, your score was an 86. 27 advanced issues in 1008 words. Because I have to use the snip it tool and get screen by screen, I only got the first two pages. It should show you what you need to know.
    Capture2.PNG Capture1.PNG

Mr.Anciano likes this.
  7. ahorsewithnoname

ahorsewithnoname Author & Admin. Live. Love. Write! Win a Pulitzer! Staff Member

I just took a look. I'm IMPRESSED with what it came up with! Looks like an excellent tool.

$140 for the year.

It's too bad that I cannot buy a copy and have it here at the website for people to use. I guess that wouldn't be fair to them. Just a thought.

Mr.Anciano likes this.
  8. 1 Toy Maker

1 Toy Maker Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it for sale and now that you mention it that probably explains why I can't see what half the problems are.
    Does anyone know if there is a difference between the computer software and the Android app?

Mr.Anciano likes this.
  9. 1 Toy Maker

1 Toy Maker Well-Known Member

I've got it loaded on my Lenovo 3 plus, I can't find anywhere to buy or upgrade it.

PABLO DIABLO and Mr.Anciano like this.
  10. Jeymar

Results of efficency from Grammarly, since I acquired the program. After four weeks of usage, my percentage keep growing.

. Grammarly Results Apr 10.png

Mr.Anciano and bistander like this.
  11. Kaytwo

Kaytwo Active Member

Be sure to check compatibility. I'm using Word-97 (yeah, that's right, 1997) and Internet Explorer 11, Windows- 7... And that thar dawg won't hunt on my setup.

K2

12. Mr.Anciano

Mr.Anciano Well-Known Member

I use the free version that has limitations, like a max of 60 pages.

PABLO DIABLO likes this.
  13. Mr.Anciano

Mr.Anciano Well-Known Member

The Grammarly program seems to check the number before starting, so you'd have to break a large document manually to get around the limit. There are other limits that I don't remember. If I were to really need the Grammarly function, I'd go for the Premium 50% off deal.