CAW 33 - Fun With Words

Discussion in 'Calling All Writers - CAW 33' started by CAW SOP, Jan 26, 2018.

1. CAW SOP

CAW SOP Live. Love. Write.

Here we are ladies and gentlemen, Caw #33...

[​IMG]

The Inspiration:

A long long time ago, in a place far far away... No! This isn't Star Wars, this was High School, circa 1980's.

Anyway, a much smaller version of myself, who had a whole lot more hair, was taking a creative writing class. You see, he thought it would be an easy way to get a good grade, and keep his football eligibility. He had also heard there was very little homework, and to be honest, the young teacher was not hard on the eyes. Little did he know that this course would show him the enjoyment of writing, and actually inspire him to do well in class. Each Monday morning the teacher would have a writing prompt on the board. That's right, a blackboard with real chalk, and erasers that had to be clapped every day. (Probably killing millions of brain cells.) Each Friday we would turn in our stories regarding that theme. Some Monday's we would walk in and the blackboard would be covered in words, and phrases. On these occasions, we were able to pick anything at all to write about. The only requirement was that we had to include a predetermined number of things off the board. Next Friday, she would have a handful of people read these in front of the class.

Sometimes this resulted in funny stories. Other times they were ridiculous. More often than not, there were some amazing stories that used the available words in surprising ways, and very imaginative situations. I always had fun, and for that reason, I tried a little harder on those assignments.

[​IMG]

The Challenge:

Below you will find three groups of words. You must choose one from each category, and use a total of at least fifteen. Create a story of your own choosing using these fifteen selections. There are no limits, your piece can be about anything at all. Plot, setting, time period, genre, anything you can think up is your decision, as long as you include fifteen things from the three categories, and forty options below.

List #1

Linoleum

Rapier

Plasma

Bedlam

Candelabra

Accelerator

Breeches

Mortar

Scarab

Groovy

Breastplate

Revolver

Photon

Stirrup

Corset

List #2

Ray Gun

Pearl Buttons

Lamp Post

Plaid Curtains

Spandex Leggings

Transport Unit

Code of Honor

Leather Jacket

Chevy 454

Automatic Rifle

Silk Stockings

Battle Spear

Switchblade Knife

Gravity Field

Cameo Brooch

List #3

The brassiere hung from the ceiling fan, spinning lazily in the afternoon breeze.

I'm sorry, but the only room available only has a single bed.

(He/She/It) stepped into the small chamber and gave one last look back, before activating the air lock

I'm just a (girl/boy/other), standing in front of a (girl/boy/other), asking to be loved.

Do you have any idea who I am? Your _______ will be hearing about this!

The horses were content to graze while the (man/woman) laid the blanket out for the picnic.

The Senator, while insisting (he/she) was not intoxicated, could not explain (his/her) nudity.

The dildo sat in the middle of the comforter, like a (any color) exclamation point to (her/his) embarrassment.

You might be the (boy/girl/man/woman/other) that my (mother/father/other) warned me about.

Did you leave me for (him/her), or were there others in between? Or are you not the kind that tells?

[​IMG]

The Rules:

Anonymity at all times. If you have a question or comment about your story that would reveal that you wrote it, ask me privately. Do not post anything that would reveal what story is yours. Do not let other people know what story is yours. I can't police this, but come on... we are adults here right?

The use of a proofreader is allowed. If you would like to ask a fellow member (or off site) to proof your work, that is fine. Please ask them to also follow the rules of anonymity till the contest is finished.

[​IMG]

CAW 33 Rules:

You must use one choice from all three lists. You must use a minimum of fifteen choices. If you would like to use more, then that is your choice. You are welcome to indicate your choices by means of bold, underline, color, or italics. However, if you think this is a distraction to the reading, you may submit your story without any help to the reader at all. This is your choice. You may also make minor changes to fit the flow of the story. As long as the finished product keeps the intent of the original, you may pluralize, or tweak as needed.

Entries will be submitted to the @CAW SOP account only. The due date will be March 3rd at midnight PST. This gives you six weeks, and an additional weekend to complete your story. If you would like to get it in early, that is fine, but I would urge you to sit on it till at least the last week to check for errors. I will accept rewrites up until the Saturday before the deadline, after that, what you sent is what you will have posted.

You may enter two stories as a solo writer, and as many more as you would like with an additional partner. That means two as yourself, and one with each new co-writer. If more are submitted, I will give you a small amount of time to choose which will be a non-entry, then I will make that decision myself.

Above all...

[​IMG]

This is a competition, and will be voted on, but it's all in fun. I would prefer that you see it as an entertaining challenge, and a great way to improve your skills. Have fun with it! Your story might be funny, it may delve into the absurd, or maybe it is a tale right out of The Twilight Zone. That is fine, but think outside the box, and try to come up with something that will incorporate your choices seamlessly.

If I have done this correctly, using five of the choices should be a breeze. Ten really shouldn't be too difficult to include in any story. It is those last five where the fun comes in!

Let's see what you all come up with!

[​IMG]

Special mention to Black Ronin. He had a similar theme with CAW 21 - It was a dark and stormy night.

He did a great job, and I hope that we get some quality submissions.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  2. CAW SOP

If there are grammatical errors, and I know there are, in the above quotes, please do not include them in your story. I'm working on limited sleep, and this is more stressful than you might think.

If some of the quotes look familiar, that is because I took creative license with some of them, and paraphrased things from pop culture.

I hope that some of you get inspiration. I also hope that some of you are stumped and have to think extra hard. That is what this exercise is all about. But I know that everyone here can do it!

Just have fun!

fantasysflirt and Little Miss K like this.
  3. TamLin

TamLin Well Respected Member

Can I suggest we change this to "he/she was not intoxicated" and "his/her nudity?" I suspect some writers might appreciate the same flexibility with this as the other offerings.

Little Miss K and Uncle B like this.
  4. HCB0414

HCB0414 Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, this is going to be a lot of fun! It's been awhile since I actually submitted a CAW story, I written a few that never been submitted, but this might get me out of that funk.

5. ahorsewithnoname

ahorsewithnoname Author & Admin. Live. Love. Write! Win a Pulitzer! Staff Member

Curious, where did you get the list of words from? Just wondering if you picked them from some previous CAW entries, or some other method?

6. TertiusHuman

TertiusHuman Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the stories. Come on people you have six weeks to write me some reading material :D

7. 1 Toy Maker

1 Toy Maker Well-Known Member

I'm all in like a beer at a hillbilly party.

Uncle B likes this.
  8. 1 Toy Maker

I might be as drunk as that hillbilly

Uncle B likes this.
  9. 1 Toy Maker

But it doesnt matter im just as commited as he is to getting his sisters panties down

Uncle B likes this.
  10. ejls

ejls Moderator Staff Member

Dear CAW SOP,

I mean this most sincerely...I hate you.

Respectfully yours,
    Totally screwed

11. bistander

bistander Well-Known Member

Okay, just so it's clear like chocolate pudding, I can pick from any list, but I have to choose 1 from all 15 lists and up to 5 from any one list, so that I have a total of 25 words and/or phrases?

Seriously, I have to get one from all three lists, and a total of at least 15? So that means I could pick one from list one, and one from list two and thirteen from list three?
    Wow, this should be interesting.

Uncle B and Little Miss K like this.
  12. Little Miss K

Little Miss K Naughty but Nice

YAY!!! :):D:)

Oh no! :eek: What if I don't have time to get a story written? :(

I LOVE this theme. It reminds me of a speach writing class I took last year. We would have to write 3 versions of the same speech, but add specific things to make it pertinent to 3 different audiences.

I will try very hard to make time to enter. ;)

Uncle B, HCB0414 and bistander like this.
  13. CAW SOP

You wouldn't believe how much I stressed over the past few days. I really hope that you all enjoy the theme. I would love to see a bunch of quality entries.

images.png

HCB0414 and Little Miss K like this.
  14. Pars001

Pars001 #1 Knight Writer

ok to officially make it a CAW? I am so confused! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! I don't get it. I'm an idiot! This has been a word from the official CAW Moron! lol

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    bistander and Little Miss K like this.
  15. Uncle B

Uncle B Well-Known Member

I'm going to give it a couple of weeks, then I am going to put up a non-entry. If someone is having a problem finding a way to make it work, it might be helpful.

fantasysflirt and bistander like this.
  16. TonyBS

TonyBS Troublemaker

Seems simple to me. I have an idea, I think I can make it work.

17. 1 Toy Maker

This looks much easier now than it did the first time I looked.

18. HCB0414

HCB0414 Well-Known Member

I woke up this morning with what I think is a great idea for a story. I just hope it plays out as well as it does in my head.

Little Miss K likes this.
  19. TonyBS

TonyBS Troublemaker

I've been wondering if I could manage to fit all the words and phrases in the story. I keep thinking of extra ones I could slip in.

Little Miss K likes this.
  20. Little Miss K

Little Miss K Naughty but Nice

Like @TonyBS , I keep finding words that I think I could add. I don't see any problem using 20 or more. :)

The real problem will be finding the time to write. I may have to write it in a whole bunch of little sections. I hate trying to write like that. :mad:

HCB0414 likes this.