CAW 32 Writing Phase - At Least 15 Reasons Why Life Can Be Scary

Discussion in 'Calling All Writers - CAW 32' started by CAW SOP, Sep 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CAW SOP

CAW SOP Live. Love. Write.

Greetings, and welcome to another installment of Calling All Writers! I am @ahorsewithnoname. Get yourself something to drink, perhaps a snack, then sit back and read, as this post will be a LONNNNNNGGGGGG one.

First, I would like to refer you to the CAW General Info & Rules thread, where you can read up on the various rules and such that govern these writing challenges. If you have participated in several CAWs, you're probably quite familiar with them; nothing has changed recently. If you are new to the CAWs, please take 5-10 minutes to read that thread so that you don't inadvertently violate a rule or policy. Thank you. :)

Second, I'd like to thank @ejls for starting the challenge in 2010, and for blessing its move from "Hell" to WRIST this year. CAW 31 ran here flawlessly under the guidance of @TonyBS & @Luvsalik. May the CAWs live forever!

Okay, so we're moving toward the Fall (those of us in the northern hemisphere) and based on about a month and a half to write, that's going to bring us face-to-face with Halloween, a favorite time of year for many. With that in mind, I've set the challenge to be "scary" related. I'm presenting you with At Least 15 Reasons Why Life Can Be Scary, via photos.

Below you'll find 15 (or more) pictures/photos/images. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, will be to take ONE of the photos and use it as the theme behind your story. When you submit your story, you'll indicate which image your story used as the theme, by the number on/near the image. When I post your story, I'll also post that image at the top of it, so that readers will easily be able to relate to it.

NOTE: Some of the images below are obviously very specific to a movie or a character. You may or may not write about what truly is depicted. What do I mean? Okay, so there's an image of Harley Quinn below. You can write a Harley Quinn-based story, relating it to the image. You can write a story about the person who plays Harley Quinn, relating it to the image. You can also write a story about a blonde girl in pigtails who at some point in the story is wielding a big mallet. Capisce?

NOTE NOTE: At the time of this posting, there were 15 images shown below. It is possible that additional images MAY be added during the writing period based on any suggestions received by CAW SOP. (Do NOT post an image in this thread and then ask publicly if you can write about it...anonymity, please?!)

Here's the nitty-gritty:

Entries:
    You may submit two (2) stories under your byline, or two (2) stories that you co-author with someone, or a combination of one (1) by you, and one (1) co-authored. In other words, a maximum of 2 stories.​

Deadline:
    The writing period shall run from today, September 10th to Friday, October 27thThursday, November 30th at midnight, Eastern Time. So there is no mistaking this, when it becomes 11pm on Friday, October 27, 2017, Thursday, November 30, 2017 you will have one hour left to submit your story. Stories will be posted on Saturday, December 2nd at the latest.​

Submission Process:
    Ladies wishing to submit should bring an overnight bag, no undergarments, handcuffs, and . . . er, um, sorry, wrong submission process! Stories should be submitted to CAW SOP via "conversation", also known as private messaging, or internal email. DO NOT POST YOUR STORY HERE!
    Submission Tips:
    If you type your story online, in the conversation text area, you may format the story using the Microsoft Word-like controls found there. But beware, there is no way to SAVE a conversation once you start it. However, you can start the conversation with CAW SOP, send it, and then go back and edit it. If you use this method (helpful for those of you who seem to have stories disappear from your personal computers; they won't disappear from here!), when you have your story completely done, edited and have no more changes to make, just send CAW SOP another message, right below your first "conversation" and I'll grab it from there. NOTE: If you type in Word or some other program and then place it in a "conversation", you may find that the formatting gets weird. It's not our system, it's the control codes in the software that you used.
    Anonymity:
    As per the General CAW rules, you may NOT discuss your story with another member or members at all until the voting is completed. The purpose of this rule is to keep friends from voting for friends, etc. so please be honest. You may NOT post questions or comments in any of the CAW threads that would give away your story. An example? If you ask "Is it okay to write a sci-fi story?" and there's only one sci-fi story, that would give yours away. If you state, in your story, "English isn't my first language, so be kind" or "This is my first CAW entry, please be kind", those too can give away your identity. Put simply, if you have a question that could in some way, shape, manner or form possibly violate the anonymity clause, STOP, don't post it, but instead send it as a question to CAW SOP. The last thing in the world that I want to do is disqualify an entry for this reason!
    Proofreader:
    You may have one (1) member proofread your story. In fact, I ENCOURAGE THIS GREATLY! The same anonymity rules apply; in other words, they can't give your story away otherwise bad things happen.
    The Images . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] This is #15.

So there you go. If you have general questions or comments (that will not give away any story that you may potentially write!), feel free to post them here. For other questions/comments, send to CAW SOP.

GOOD LUCK & GOOD WRITING!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2017
    GingerSnap, Jeymar, Uncle B and 2 others like this.
  2. TertiusHuman

TertiusHuman Well-Known Member

Oh I am SO in.

Wet Carmen Electra... oh wait it is about the killing in the movie... uhm... yeah I can do that I think.

OK I am in

Uncle B, Clover Ernest and God like this.
  3. Is there a word limit on entries?

4. God

God Administrator Staff Member

No, there is no word limit. You may write as few or as many as you need. Most CAW stories fall into the 3,000-7,500 range. Some go 10-15,000. Some have gone further, too, but people seem to grumble when faced with reading 50,000 words on something they may only have a passing interest in, so, there ya' go.

5. Thank you... that sounds great!

6. ejls

ejls Moderator Staff Member

Autumn is fast approaching, along with Halloween in the states. Perfect timing for this challenge. Fingers crossed that I have one more story in me.

7. TonyBS

TonyBS Troublemaker

I have a couple of ideas I might be able to run with.

Uncle B likes this.
  8. Clover Ernest

Clover Ernest Master Of Mayhem

@ahorsewithnoname is photo #3 from anything in particular? I notice the "Wonderland" on the gate, but which iteration of the popular story is it from?

9. Uncle B

Uncle B Well-Known Member

Forgive me if I am overstepping, but the picture is only a stepping off point. I would say the intention is only to inspire. Let it be YOURS, and make the picture fit whatever narrative YOU have to tell.

Desire Dapschev likes this.
  10. ahorsewithnoname

ahorsewithnoname Author & Admin. Live. Love. Write! Win a Pulitzer! Staff Member

As Uncle B mentioned, you can really go in any direction and run with it as you please. As I stated with the Harley Quinn photo...you can write a Harley Quinn story, or, you can write a story about a crazy looking girl with pigtails. You can write a story about Alice in Wonderland, or write a story about a place called Wonderland, or write a story about Alisonwonderland, or ... you get the idea.

11. TertiusHuman

TertiusHuman Well-Known Member

Zovhembie and Vampires sounds like a good sexual story to me lol

But then again I have notice non-erotic also to be quite popular lately.

12. Clover Ernest

@ahorsewithnoname @Uncle B I ask more so I can have a good movie / show to watch or something like that. (I can't write worth crap, as stated in my bio)

ahorsewithnoname likes this.
  13. Pars001

Pars001 #1 Knight Writer

wow It, Halloween, Rocky horror picture show, Harley Quinn, Godzilla, Halloween III season of the witch, The exorcist, Pacific Rim, you got a lot of the good ones Horse. Only ones I see missing are Pet Cemetery, the village, and the Tommy Knockers!

14. Clover Ernest

6 looks like it might be from the "Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children" book series

15. ahorsewithnoname

ahorsewithnoname Author & Admin. Live. Love. Write! Win a Pulitzer! Staff Member

Again, just reiterating that you do NOT have to write a story about the obvious, i.e. Game of Thrones White Walkers #4 photo. You could write something about White Walkers, something about odd looking white folk... :) and so on.

Free interpretation here, peeps.

Uncle B likes this.
  16. Cheltenham

Cheltenham Guest

Looks interesting. :)

17. ejls

ejls Moderator Staff Member

So, maybe, just maybe, I finished a very short story.

Uncle B, fantasysflirt and TonyBS like this.
  18. earthbound

earthbound Guest

I never felt like participating in one of these on the other site but I quietly admired them for a very long time. Maybe here I'll step up a little and give it a try.

19. Clover Ernest

@ahorsewithnoname, how do we tell the CAW SOP which image(s) we are using for our story(ies)?

20. Little Miss K

Little Miss K **Reigning CAW Champion**

I would say something like...

My Story Name

Based on picture #25

Once upon a time...