CAW 32 Reading & Voting Phase - At Least 15 Reasons Why Life Can Be Scary

Discussion in 'Calling All Writers - CAW 32' started by CAW SOP, Dec 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CAW SOP

CAW SOP Live. Love. Write.

Preface: ahorsewithnoname is currently unavailable. "Og" was taken from us on Sunday evening. He fought well, but gun shot wounds to the head were simply even too much for him to overcome. Before he succumbed, he did ask that no one hold Neira responsible for this, that it was his own fault, and that we must move on.

Here is the official reading and voting thread. We're all members of the "Adult Cool Kids Club", so there's no need for me to remind you to read ALL of the stories, hopefully seeding them with comments along the way, and then you may vote for your Top 3. Your first place choice will receive 3 lollipops, second place gets 2, and third place gets 1. Send your votes to CAW SOP. Voting ends Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 12 NOON Eastern Time. With luck, the winner(s) will be announced later that same day.

For those of you unfamiliar with me, one of my proclivities is Dungeons & Dragons, and Og was a 14th Level (out of 20) Barbarian, Mythic Level 7 (out of 10) beloved character aka Wrath, one of the 7 Deadly Sins. He was killed off by Gluttony, for reasons to be discovered later. Sorry for the interruption, but I felt a quick explanation was due because of the opening paragraph. Didn't want to set anyone in a panic!

Here is the link to the Writing Phase page, in case you need to reference it: Writing Phase

And here are the stories...(in the order in which they appear right now as I'm making this post):

CAW 32: A Modern Tale of the Lesser of Two Evils

CAW 32: Harley Screwed

CAW 32: All Hallow's Eve

CAW 32: Dragon in Wonderland

CAW 32: Bloodline

CAW 32: Silence

CAW 32: Not Again....

CAW 32: Scary Story

CAW 32: The Road

CAW 32: Fucking Zombie Bitches

CAW 32: A Halloween Story

CAW 32: Trick or Treat

CAW 32: Asmodeu's Love

CAW 32: Life Sucks

CAW 32: Too Old for Trick or Treat

CAW 32: The Long and Winding Road

Enjoy. And thank you to those who submitted stories. 16 is a pretty amazing amount considering our small sample size! Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Holidays ... when anyone asks me what I truly want for Christmas, my answer has been the same for 20 years ... peace on Earth, good will to man.

2. Missrachael

Missrachael Queen of Cheshire

And? Most men tag on 'oh, plus a blow job' after the peace and goodwill bullshit

AnX... likes this.
  3. AnX...

AnX... Bloody nuisance

Well, I can't believe you lot. Making me do this.

I've read em all, commented and am now submitting my vote before I read them again and change my mind.

Good to see so many entries and faces returning to read and comment, I often look to see who's online and what you're up too. I'm just so bloody nosey of course.

I wonder if you have the problem I have, I read an entry like it and want to vote for it and just feel that there are so many good entries its hard to choose just three.

I'll get my vote in quick before I change my mind - again!

Am I the only one that tries to figure out who wrote what as well? (Regardless of the vote) It'll be interesting to see if I'm even close.

Well done everybody who took the time to enter.

Originally I only came here to play the games and post pictures, and now I'm pontificating on stories.

Missrachael likes this.
  4. Missrachael

Ooh just realised..... Vote cutoff is the day before my birthday.... Cool!

QUESTION.... How do we vote?

5. Missrachael

Hot Post
    Ahhhhhh ok..... Thanks

Should I put my birthday request in there too? Lol

6. ahorsewithnoname

ahorsewithnoname Author & Admin. Live. Love. Write! Win a Pulitzer! Staff Member

If it is a birthday request that I can grant, sure. If not, you might have to send it along to God and he'll take care of it. ;)

Missrachael likes this.
  7. 1 Toy Maker

1 Toy Maker Well-Known Member

So I have read all the stories and commented. I must say I am truly impressed with the quality of all the stories. Although the pictures aren't referenced in about half of the stories it is easy to tell which picture goes with which by reading the tale, which is part of the point. Thanks all of you that wrote I really enjoyed all the stories.

1TM out

Uncle B, bistander and Missrachael like this.
  8. Missrachael

Still got about 5 to read but the quality is really good! Well done everyone! I'll be casting my vote over the weekend

Uncle B and bistander like this.
  9. Uncle B

Uncle B Well-Known Member

My condolences on your loss of Og. I'm sure that he was an outstanding barbarian, and a hell of a good dancer.

Missrachael likes this.
  10. Uncle B

I know that I am sounding like a broken record with the complaint about adding the number of the picture. To be honest, it isn't a problem to connect the story to what picture it corresponds with. The problem is that it was stated in the rules that the picture should be included. The Devil is in the details.

Ultimately I will vote for the story I think deserves to win, and that will most likely not be a factor. But if it comes down to 2 and one has a number, while the other does not... That would make the difference.

I don't always follow the rules, but I don't complain when I face the consequences for breaking them either.

11. TonyBS

TonyBS Troublemaker

I'm going to be discounting any story which doesn't include a picture reference. The theme for the story is the picture used (as below), so how do you judge theme compliance without knowing the picture. I have checked back and some have now got picture references.

fantasysflirt likes this.
  12. 1 Toy Maker

1 Toy Maker Well-Known Member

Here's the whole passage relating to the numbers and pictures saga.

13. Missrachael

Hot Post
    I think the biggest criteria should be the fear.

I understand that the thing said to refer to a photo but personally I took it to be pointing towards genres rather than specific plots etc. To be perfectly honest, I couldn't even tell you what area of horror that most of the pictures relate to!

My biggest part of deciding who to vote for will be based upon who raised my fear levels in the most articulate way and who really caught my attention. This is, after all, a writing site and for me, that comes first. I have two contenders so far for my votes and I can say, hand on heart, I have absolutely no idea which picture they relate to. All I do know is that they were pretty bloody scary!

14. Uncle B

I have one more to read, and comment on, then I will read my short list again, and make a decision. I have a couple of front runners. I am pleased with all of the quality entries.

You all should be proud.

fantasysflirt likes this.
  15. Missrachael

Got a few more to go myself and I agree, some really good entries!

16. ejls

ejls Moderator Staff Member

If I can tell which picture is used by the story, then to me the author has accomplished more than someone who has to tell me which picture is being used. For me it's sort of like people who use a laundry list of descriptions. Let me visualize based on the character you've developed. I really don't need to be told she had 36C breasts or that he had a 11 inch cock.

bistander likes this.
  17. Uncle B

Hot Post
    I'm tired of feeling like the bad guy for pointing out something that is there for anyone to see. If @ahorsewithnoname put it plainly in the rules, I feel like that should be at least worthy of a comment that it was left out.

18. ahorsewithnoname

ahorsewithnoname Author & Admin. Live. Love. Write! Win a Pulitzer! Staff Member

Hi y'all. Merry Christmas, etc. :smilecat:

Okay, first, if you didn't mention which picture your story was based on, bummer.

That's about as excited as I can get about that development. Wanna' know why?

First, it's just a reference. If your story cannot stand on its own without the photo..............'nuff said, right?

Second, how come no one noticed that I fucked up? Srsly? Did I not say that I would post the picture at the top of your story?

Did I post any pictures?

Nope. Shame on me, lol. Sorry. If you're an author of a story and you'd like a certain picture posted, just shoot me a quick message and I'll get it done. Otherwise, it ain't gettin' done. I got too much going on, honestly, to worry about the small shit.

Now, if you as a reader wanna' penalize an author because they forgot to put the # of the picture that they were writing about, you go right ahead. It's your right.

Me? When I get to reading these stories, which will be soon...I really don't care. I'm not saying that if there are two stories and one indicated the pic and the other didn't and they both scored 94 points, sure, maybe the one with the pic wins my vote. But that's the only way it'll count.

If I told everyone to write about your favorite President, and someone wrote about dinosaurs, I'd take issue with that. But not this.

Just my 2 cents. Your votes count, my don't. :)

@ejls - sorry my lovely lady, but I'm not gonna' pull your story or stories, whatever you did. In my world, they don't constitute a violation, and on that judgment, my word, as CAW Host, is final.

Love ya' all!

::: hugs :::

P.S. Totally serious now, it's a minor thing. For the amount of time, effort, sweat, etc, that goes into this, don't rain on anyone's parade. I'm not saying it couldn't be pointed out. Nothing wrong with that. But, if it were a serious issue, I'd have taken care of it. Fair enough? :kissingheart:

bistander, fantasysflirt and AnX... like this.
  19. Redbeard1031

Redbeard1031 Well-Known Member

I finally finished all the stories and I want to thank all the writers for making my December reading very enjoyable. My votes are in and good luck to all.

20. Little Miss K

Little Miss K Naughty but Nice

I have an idea. :)

Let's all grab a hot chocolate, and enjoy some reading. It's the weekend, and there shouldn't be any stress, only relaxation. :p

images(9).jpg

And don't forget to vote for your favorite. Even though we all know Not Again.... is going to win. :rolleyes: