Calling All Writers - CAW 33

Discussion in 'Calling All Writers - CAW 33' started by CAW SOP, Jan 7, 2018.

1. CAW SOP

CAW SOP Live. Love. Write.

Don't get yourselves too excited, this is only a preliminary announcement.

I hope that you all had a wonderful holiday season, and are going to have an exceptional year in 2018. If you are like me, you have gotten pretty good at turning that accidental 17 into an 18 by now. 2017 was a great year for me and my loved ones, and I am looking forward to see what life brings me next.

If you are a member here, then you are probably familiar with the CAW challenge. If not, then please take a minute to read up on it. It can be a fun way to test the waters and give writing a try. There is nothing to be afraid of, and all newcomers will be welcomed. As the 33rd host, I would love to see some new writers join our small family.

Calling All Writers - General Info and Rules

CAW, KAW & CAW SS Winners Thread

Give a few minutes and read some of the past entries that are available here on the site. I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

For those of you that are patiently awaiting the next theme, then you will just have to wait some more. I plan on making the theme announcement on Jan. 26.

Expect a 6 week writing period with no extension. I would like to think that the theme will be a fun one, with plenty of wiggle room for any writing style. Everything is set in my head, but I will need some time to get it all worked out on paper.

I would also like to ask all of our regulars to help generate some interest. Spread the word, if there are authors who you talk to elsewhere, invite them along for the journey. The last turnout was great, but the more, the merrier.

I will be transferring some of my previous CAW stories here, and would suggest doing the same if you haven't already. Until then, I will be trying to generate some interest, and maybe giving out a hint or two.

Can't wait to see what gets written! Uncle B.

2. CAW SOP

3. ahorsewithnoname

ahorsewithnoname Author & Admin. Live. Love. Write! Win a Pulitzer! Staff Member

Oh sure, ya' rat basta'd, make us wait a couple of weeks to hear your theme! ::: growl :::

That's cool. I'm gonna' be re-opening the monthly CAW SS so that'll work out just fine. :)

Little Miss K, Uncle B and HCB0414 like this.
  4. Uncle B

Uncle B Well-Known Member

5. 1 Toy Maker

1 Toy Maker Well-Known Member

Can I get an extension? I'm already running late on 2018.

Little Miss K, Uncle B and bistander like this.
  6. bistander

bistander Well-Known Member

It all sounds great. I hope this time there are at least as many voters as there are stories!

Little Miss K and Uncle B like this.
  7. Pars001

Pars001 #1 Knight Writer

ok da day after me B-DAY you skunk!

Little Miss K and Uncle B like this.
  8. Uncle B

9. Uncle B

Are you curious about what a first time CAW story might look like?

The Beauty and B. East

This was my very first entry. I look back and think there are so many mistakes that I made, and changes I would now make, but if I hadn't tried, I never would have made progress. I smile when I read it, and love the opportunity that this fun competition gave me.

Honestly... I still love this story.

And Horse... I will always take your original comments on this story to heart every time I write.

10. ahorsewithnoname

ahorsewithnoname Author & Admin. Live. Love. Write! Win a Pulitzer! Staff Member

My first story was fairly short, entitled Sad Lisa. I believe it was CAW 5. I ran across the forum, ran across the CAW, dropped a line to ejls whom I didn't know then. She was very encouraging so I figured, what the heck, why not. And when I wrote Sad Lisa, I honestly thought I had nailed it and would win the competition. I ended up with zero votes, lol! I was devastated! Seriously, my ego got its ass kicked around the block and then dropped in a deep well.

However...there was one comment that stopped me in my tracks and convinced me to continue writing at that site. The comment made me think about one of my favorite films of all time, Finding Forrester. If you want to see a film that stars a brilliant young man of color struggling to get accepted for his brain and not his basketball expertise, this tear jerker is top-notch.

"Your writing reminded me a little of JD Salinger and the mood is really well conveyed. Excellent story."

JD Salinger (Catcher in the Rye) ... ? ::: gulp :::

So for all of you out there who read stories and DON'T take the time to comment on them, or simply put "Thanks" or "Nice story", think again. If it wasn't for that comment, I wouldn't have continued writing at the site, wouldn't have made some really great friends, wouldn't have gone on to actual success, and most obviously, there wouldn't be a WRIST. So, please, comment!

And, for those of you who hesitate to enter a writing competition, hey, you're never going to get better unless you let others read and critique. Seriously ... we don't bite! At least, not too hard.

11. HCB0414

HCB0414 Well-Known Member

I'll second that. However my first story that I wrote for a CAW, the competition was filled with so much turmoil with members getting banned midway through the voting process sock accounts going after other members, it was crazy. But despite all that people still took the time to read the stories, mine included and gave a comment. I enjoyed all the critique good or bad. I kept me writing even though that story wasn't very good.

I may not be the be the best writer, here or anywhere else for that matter. I enjoy writing and really enjoy it when someone takes time out of their day and reads one of my stories and I enjoy it even more when someone comments and gives constructive criticism, how else am I supposed to get any better.

12. bistander

bistander Well-Known Member

Thanks Horse for reminding me that I wouldn't be here or writing at all if it weren't for the time, effort and kind words from people. I literally did not know what the fuck I was doing when I started posting stories over in Hell, when it wasn't Hell. I remember someone commenting something like, I can't believe how well you express emotion when you punctuate like a third grader... I started looking up how to punctuate.

I went back in time to a thread I created in 2009 for a series that has since been banned, and I found this:
    Dec 28, 2009
    you know my views from PM's. This story should get an award if we had any.

How about: EMPRESS LAINIE'S AWARD FOR STORY OF THE YEAR?

Consider it granted.:rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose:

Empress and Wantsomefun are probably laughing right now about how overly gracious she was being, considering how poorly written that story was.

13. CAW SOP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check back soon. The theme will be announced next Friday.

Little Miss K and HCB0414 like this.
  14. Little Miss K

Little Miss K Naughty but Nice

I don't know if I will have time to enter, but I am looking forward to all the stories and reading. :)

15. 1 Toy Maker

I'm short a device to write on.

16. CAW SOP

Hot Post
    [​IMG]

I don't have a clue what this says, but I thought the scroll was cool.

(See... even the CAW host can be a total idiot, why shouldn't you join?)

Little Miss K likes this.
  17. CAW SOP

[​IMG]

The CAW theme will be announced. Come by and take a look. It should be a lot of fun!

Little Miss K likes this.
  18. CAW SOP

19. CAW SOP

20. 1 Toy Maker

Right it's Friday so where s the big announcement?